Are you a theatre maker who wants to find new and innovative ways to engage your audience? Are you intrigued by games and how they connect with theatre? Upstart Theatre’s brand of playable theatre brings together approaches from the world of gaming and the world of theatre to create experiences that put audiences in the leading role. Join a group of up to 20 like-minded artists and Upstart’s artistic director Tom Mansfield to explore how to shape connections between artists and audiences, including:
- How game design principles can be applied to creating theatre shows
- How to give your audiences a goal that will keep them on the edge of their seats
- How using game loops can give your audience the chance to explore and change the world of your show
- How designing the rules of your game helps you to create a more engaging and immersive experience
- How to test what you’ve created in a way that’s simple, useful and time-efficient.
This workshop draws on the approaches Upstart has used in critically acclaimed projects like The Situation Room (“Immersive theatre at its very best…stirring, involving and highly original” – whatsonstage.com) and DARE Festival (“the ultimate playground in an emerging artist’s dream.” – ShumGhostJohn, participating artists in DARE Festival 2021).
We’re committed to paying our facilitators a fair rate for planning and delivering these workshops. We’re equally committed to offering our online workshops on a Pay What You Decide basis, to make sure anyone who wants to can take part. We limit capacity for all our workshops, so that everyone in each workshop has the chance to interact with the person leading it. This means that, to make our workshop programme sustainable, we can only offer refunds up to seven days prior to the event.